Saturday, June 19, 2010

Spotts

I may be repeating myself but the WV Division of Culture and History has for sale a photo of Alex Spotts (formerly enslaved by the Campbell family). He is probably the oldest Spotts entry that I have in Monroe County. The Spotts-Payne families have reunions quite often and he would probably be the oldest traceable member, though I hope that someone can go back further. Alex Spotts, died, tragically when he either passed out or fell near his fireplace and his clothes caught on fire. He was living alone as his wife had already died and he was found by a passerby. I will post the full article soon.

1 comment:

affordableacadia said...

I am researching Cora Belle Spotts and parents Daniel and Sarah who lived in Eaton County MI. in the 1860's onward. Cora was African American and no records of her or her parents' non-white status are evident in any records in MI. I am wondering if you have any info about migrations to MI of this family. Thanks, Bruce. affordableacadia@gmail.com