Sunday, June 27, 2010

Richard Harry Curry, Sr.

Richard Harry Curry, Sr. was the husband of Laurena Haynes Curry and the son of J. Calvin Curry and Virginia "Jennie" Barber Curry. He appears on the 1880 Census in Monroe County (MC), WV as a four year old, son of Calven Curry (Harry). In 1898 he married Laurena Haynes on 7/6. He was 22 and she was 18 and they were both born in Monroe. The informant was William Moore. The officiant was Rev. Meadows of the (colored) Baptist Church. In 1900 he appears on the Greenbrier County (GC) census at age 24 as the son of J. Curry (Richard H.). In the 1910 Census he appears in GC at age (24 again) married x 11 years to Laurena with (Juanita) Virginia, Clarence M, Ruth G., Mary O, and Charles L. He registered for the draft for WWI and his card shows that he lived in Lewisburg and that his nearest relative was his wife Laurena Curry of Lewisburg. He died in 1940 and is buried at the Lewisburg Cemetery. He can be found in the Greenbrier County Cemetery Book (which indicates that his stone says he was born in 1876.
See the comments that I received on 9/16/2010 from a descendant of Richard and Laurena. I believe that Laurena Haynes could be the daughter of Socrates Haynes - but I haven't verified this yet. He had a daughter named Laura. Socrates and my great grandmother Elizabeth were brother and sister. Their mother was Martha Ann Payne Haynes Jones (see post).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There were 2 more children to this union. William Rush, my father and the youngest was Richard. All are deceased now, my father died 9/1984 and Ruth was the last one to pass.I know the siblings of Richard Harry. Are you Carolyn Haynes and what relation are you to Laurena Haynes Curry, my grandmother?
Ann Doreen Curry Byrd

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn, there were 2 more children to this union. My father William Rush and Richard the baby. My father passed 9/1984, and Ruth was the last one to pass, I don't remember the year. I also know the siblings to Richard Harry. Are you a relative of Laurena's? I have tried to leave two comments before but I don't think they are going through. I must be doing something wrong.William was born in 1911-1984. I am glad to see my great grandmother's and great grandfather's name, I had no Idea. I could only go back to Harry and Laurena. I would love to be able to talk to you. I'm going to try to post this again.
Ann Doreen Curry Byrd
Charleston, WV

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog post. I certainly appreciate this site.
Thanks!